DIY

Up cycled Receiving Blankies

10:45 AM

Happy Weekend Everyone!
I'm so excited, my friend Alex from ELEVEN eleven is guest posting today! She has a creative project to share with us.



Thank you Sarah for this opportunity to guest post on your blog!! I am very happy to be here and can’t wait to share this fun and sweet project with you. You should have plenty of blankies to work with soon, right?! Smile

While cleaning out and organizing my 4-month-old's closet, I set aside the 20+ receiving blankets I had for her and for my now 3-year-old. 

WHY on Earth did I have so many?! 

Most of them weren’t even used much since they were oddly shaped and generally too small for swaddling. Honestly, I think we only used the handful of receiving blankets we managed to borrow –er, ok…steal… – from the hospital. [Don’t judge us – those are the BEST for swaddling!] 

The rest were used MAYBE for summer blankets, changing pads, burp cloths, etc. Still, I felt strange just throwing or giving them away…I was feeling oddly sentimental about parting ways with the super cute [and sort of useless] pieces of cloth. Ok, it’s not odd. I feel attached to TONS of “things” that don’t make sense to many [my husband is at the top of that list]…but [a] I am a sentimental person and I attach lots of memories to EVERYTHING and [b] I am a creative person and I see crafty potential in EVERYTHING.

upcycleintro

So I stared at my huge pile of blankets until I figured out what I wanted to do with them, and, I must say, I am very pleased with project #1!

upcycle

I began with the following materials:
  • Old picture frame(s)
  • Blankets to be up cycled
  • Scissors
  • Hot glue gun
  • Stencil
  • Paints (optional)
  • Embellishments (optional)
upcyclematerials

STEP ONE: 
Trace the letters lightly. I outlined my chipboard letters backwards onto the backside of the blankie, so I did not worry about leaving lines if I didn’t cut exactly over my markings. If you want, step one SHOULD be to iron and starch the blankets to make the first steps easier and the project prettier….but I am impatient and went straight to tracing!

upcyclestep1

STEP TWO: 
Carefully cut them out. I added a couple of butterflies since it matched one of my blankets and I could easily free-hand them.

upcyclestep2

STEP THREE: 
Cover your photo mat (if you have one) with a blanket. I first cut around my mat and then hot glued the edges to the underside and cut off any excess. I pulled it tight so no wrinkles would show. Then I cut out the center and glued that the same way – definitely pull it tightly here so it is snugly wrapped!

step3Step 4

STEP 4: 
[I forgot to photograph this step!] Staple or glue (I stapled) your blanket to the picture frame BACKING (the actual back piece with the hanging clips and/or standing leg) and trim the excess.

STEP 5: 
Assemble your parts! Place your mat in the frame and secure it by closing the backing back in place. Place your letters/shapes/embellishments on however you would like and ENJOY your sentimental masterpiece!

upcyclefinal

Note: I did not put my glass front back on my frame since I made a 3D butterfly and liked the look of the "warmth" of the layered blankets. Feel free to put yours on or not!

Be sure to check out my blog for my other blanket up cycling projects, including the frame I made for my son, Myles!

Have a great weekend!
XOXO

Thank you Alex! I love this idea. I have a ton of receiving blankets I could use!




SHAKLEE OCTOBER SPECIAL
FREE SHIPPING
I'll reimburse your shipping on member orders of $40 or more!
Offer ends at 11:59pm(cst) October 31, 2012

Become a Lifetime Shaklee Member FREE when you order Vitalizer!!
Shaklee Members receive 15% off products!
Autoship saves you another 10%!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook